- Control Panel: User: activate admin account, make sure you know the password.
- Control Panel: Terminal & SNMP: activate SSH
- Download Putty (link), a popular terminal client for Windows.
- Run Putty and enter the Synology IP address without the port, choose connection type SSH. The port will be set automatically by Putty.
- Press Open. Putty will ask if you want to trust the Synology key. Press yes (make sure your network is safe, otherwise your admin password may be compromised).
- Synology should ask for login and password. Use admin and the corresponding password.